Wednesday, September 14, 2011

You are ready for online learning!

At least that is what the Online Learning Readiness Assessment informed me. Would it be considered cocky if I said that comes at no surprise? I am the least cocky person I know, so hopefully the reader will understand I am merely being realistic. Although I did not have wide access to the Internet until my teens (as opposed to today when many children under the age of ten have unlimited and unfiltered access to the internet), I have used a computer from a young age. I am young, therefore I have had exposure to computers for most of my life. I attribute my aptitude for online learning to this attitude toward technology and my background in independent study. Which is a long way to say that I am used to self-motivating, learning, studying on my own and occasionally collaborating with others. I suppose I view online classes as I have any other class; another opportunity to learn and a step towards my end goal.

Haycock's definition of teams only loosely describes the student groups I encountered in college. As an English major there were not many student groups. When I did encounter them rarely was the team compatible in skills, or even in common goals. More often than not the groups conversed and met electronically, only occasionally did we physically meet. In contrast, groups from volunteering and work have been an excellent example of functional groups, when drama and issues arose they were promptly resolved. I am looking forward to group work in this program with the expectation that, while not all of us are working toward the same specific position, we are all equally committed to our studies and determined to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0 2